RECURRENT CONSTRUCTION MANAGER
MSF Switzerland (MSFCH) is a humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need based in Dagahaley and Mombasa County.
Work Location: Dagahaley Refugee Camp, Garissa County
Start date: 1st February 2024
Length of contract: 6 Months fixed term contract
The selected candidate will be reporting to the Construction Team Leader.
Planning, coordinating, and monitoring all logistics activities in the project related to construction and rehabilitation according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure that construction works meet the needs of MSF programmes
- In collaboration with the Construction Team Leader and the Logistics / Technical Logistics Coordinator, planning, establishing, and reviewing all the construction and/or rehabilitation activities in the mission/project, including its budget, in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population.
- Monitoring and ensuring the implementation of the construction and/or rehabilitation activities in the project ensuring compliance to MSF standards, protocols, and procedures, and reporting to the construction team leader on the development of the ongoing programmes. This includes the following:
- Planning construction/rehabilitation projects to be performed in the mission, participating in the project design and development, and ensuring that technical aspects are met and are in compliance with the local construction habits.
- Coordinating purchase orders related to the work activity and checking the materials in stock and warehouse inventory control.
- Participating in the preparation of budgets associated to construction/rehabilitation projects, preparing invoices for payment of the works, and anticipating the cash-flow required for monthly payments.
- Providing safety equipment for people who work in construction so as to ensure that all workers comply with safety standards.
- Ensuring technical support for his area of activity and provides coaching to logistics staff under his/her responsibility.
- Organizing and supervising call for tenders in order to ensure the best technical and financial conditions in collaboration with the Construction Team Leader.
- Supervising and leading the logistics team under his/her responsibility including the definition of each person’s task (daily supervision and checking the quality of their work) drawing up working schedule, organizing and leading team meetings.
- Following up and reporting on the works’ progress and on technical aspects of the work and participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep, Logistics Statistical Report, etc.)
- Performing delegated tasks according to his/her specialty and as specified in his/her job description.
- Design and development of technical drawings for the construction and rehabilitation works for MSF within Dagahaley premises.
- Supervision of different contractors, subcontractors, and daily workers during the construction period.
- Coordinating the different stakeholders involved in the construction project to ensure that the works are running in concurrence as planned (i.e., subcontractors, electrical, log and watsan managers)
- Ensure the good quality of material and subsequent material approval prior to being used during construction.
- Ensure that the security measures are respected on the construction site and incidence reported (personal protective equipment, hoarding, etc)
- Develop a detailed chronogram of activities and ensure it is followed and give advice whenever delays are foreseen.
- Ensure quality control adherence is emphasized on and the construction works are carried out according to the technical drawings, BoQ and the specifications.
- In conjunction with the Construction Team Leader, negotiate with contractors and subcontractors on the scope of the works and pricing.
- Ensuring that the materials used in the construction are tested in a government-recognized lab and it’s within the limits of Kenya’s building code.
- Drafting of daily, weekly, and monthly construction reports.
- Ensuring the implementation and respect of the construction cycle at all stages of the project
- Any other task delegated by the line manager.
- Essential degree or technical college Diploma in engineering or building cconstruction.
- Essential 5 years of previous experience In construction.
- Proven understanding of MSF Field Logistics is an asset.
Swahili and English are mandatory for this profile. Working knowledge of Somali language is desirable
- Essential computer literacy (Microsoft Office, excel MS office and Internet)
- Auto Cad (mandatory)
- Ability to read and understand construction plans, develop construction specifications.
- Knowledge of construction structural analysis.
- Knowledge in electrical, water and sanitation works.
- Deep knowledge of local construction material market.
- Deep knowledge of the Kenyan construction bylaws.
- Ability to accurately asses, analyse and describe the status of a construction project and be ready to provide possible solutions whenever necessary.
- A positive attitude and willingness to encourage co-workers.
- Ability to coordinate different subcontractors and suppliers.
- Strategic vision, Leadership, People Management, Planning, Team work
How to apply
If you meet the above requirements, please provide all the document listed below:
- Updated CV
- Motivation letter stating interest in the position.
- Diploma, certificates relevant to the position
- National ID CardPlease note all the above-mentioned documents are mandatory for this position. In absence of information, your candidature will not be accepted. The position is open to Kenyan Nationals only
To apply for this job, go to the link below:
In the dedicated application mailbox in DAGAHALEY MSF OFFICE. Please mark the envelope with:
“Construction Manager – January 2024” to: HR Department MSF Dagahaley refugee camp
Deadline for submission of applications**: 8th January 2024**
We apologize that due to the volume of application we receive only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please clearly state your postal details (Name, email ID, address, nationality, county and sub county) and experience (location, year and key work responsibilities) in the CV so that the recruitment team can contact you. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
**(**MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee. MSFCH welcomes applications from people of all sexual or gender identities and encourages women to apply)
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data only for the recruitment process to have all the information and documents necessary to proceed with the recruitment, validation of your application and selection of the most suitable candidate. Your personal data will be treated confidentially. MSF will not use your personal data in any other way other than for purposes of recruitment.
City : Dagahaley
Years of experience